Wednesday, January 2, 2013

My "MUST HAVE" Kitchen Staples and Money Saving "Tips"

I am frequently asked what 'must have' items I keep in my kitchen or pantry. Here is a list in no particular order. (all organic, of course!)


  • Rolled Oats
  • Steel Cut Oats
  • Chia Seeds
  • Quinoa
  • Raw Nuts (walnuts, almonds etc...)
  • Sprouted Grain Cereal (I prefer Food For Life, Ezekiel 4:9)
  • Sprouted Grain Tortillas (and Sprouted Corn Tortillas, Food For Life Ezekiel as well)
  • Pinto Beans
  • Black Beans
  • Green Lentils
  • Tomato Sauce
  • Basmati Rice (white and brown)
  • Coconut Palm Sugar
  • Raw Cane Sugar
  • Sea Salt
  • Lemons
  • Vegetable Broth and Chicken Broth (low or no sodium)
  • Green Leafy Veggies 
  • Raw Honey (local is best)
  • Garlic
  • Fresh Ginger (can be stored in the freezer to keep its freshness)

Organic on a BUDGET

As soon as I tell people that my family eats ORGANIC I tend to get the same response, "that's too expensive!" Well, it's not if you know how to budget your money and meal plan. When I know that I am running low on groceries I sit down and make a menu plan for at least two weeks to a month (take into consideration any holiday's or times when you know you won't be eating at home). I then prepare my grocery list by adding items from each meal that I don't already have in the fridge/freezer/pantry. Don't be afraid to substitute ingredients in recipes to utilize items you may already have...this will help minimize your grocery list saving you in the long run. I tend to make my meals with more servings then will feed my small family with the intention of freezing the leftovers for future meals when I may not have time to cook. Great freezable meals include soups, stews, chili and even many ethnic meals. Many of these meals can be cooked in a slow cooker saving you time and they are great defrosted and reheated at a later time!

Meal plan/menu planning helps cut back on frequent shopping trips, deters you from going out to eat and helps you to be more creative and have more dinner options than if you were to make dinner on the fly. Stick to your list and don't get any impulse buys as they tend to add up quickly. Most of the time I am able to get a great deal of my groceries for the month in one shopping trip, however produce is a different story. When buying organic produce I say less is more...buy what you know you will eat for the week as much of it tends to spoil faster than that of conventionally grown produce. You may find yourself making more trips to the grocery store but it will be for a few produce items as opposed to a full on grocery shopping venture. Try to buy produce that is in season and frequent your local farmers markets when applicable to get great deals and support local agriculture! Also, try to incorporate as many fresh veggies into your meals as possible. They are cheaper than most meats, have far less calories and are wonderful sources of protein and fiber.

Now would also be a good time to cut back on desserts and other non-essential items that tend to cost you in the long run (health wise as well as your wallet). Many fruit juices can be made at home using a citrus juicer or a commercial juicer. This way you know exactly what is going into your juice and you will enjoy the freshness! If a veggie juice is more of what you are looking for try to use as many water filled veggies (like cucumber) to help stretch your dollar.

If you are just starting to go organic and are overwhelmed, relax...once you get the hang of things it becomes second nature. You will soon find out what works best for you and for your family. Don't be afraid to try new things and experiment. The only way to know if you like something is to give it a try. This holds true to many of the veggies at the local Farmer's Markets. You may begin to notice a great deal of produce you have never heard of or seen and you shouldn't let that deter you from purchasing it. Ask the farmers what it is   and how to prepare it. Some may even have wonderful recipes that they would be wiling to share with you.


1 comment: