Monday, January 14, 2013

Meatless Monday Split Pea Soup

Meatless Monday Split Pea Soup

As I begin my families transition to a more vegetarian based diet I find myself getting more and more excited about the recipes I prepare for dinner. One of my favorite soups as a child was always split pea soup, however I was never much of a fan of the chunks of ham. That being said, I am not at all going to miss the 'meat' in this recipe!

Ingredients (*organic)
2 cups Green Split Peas (rinsed)
7 cups of Water
2T Grapeseed Oil
2 medium Shallots (diced)
3 cloves Garlic (minced)
2 medium Carrots (diced)
1 stalk of Celery (chopped with leaves included)
2T fresh squeezed Lemon Juice
2T Herbamare
Cracked Pepper (to taste)
a pinch of Cayenne Pepper (optional)

In a large stock pot (I use Le Creuset Enameled Steel 8qt), add your oil, shallots and garlic. Saute on medium heat. Add your remaining ingredients and stir. If you are trying to achieve a thinner soup you can add another 1-2 cups of water if too much has evaporated while simmering (I prefer a very thick consistency myself). Bring to a boil, cover and turn down heat bringing soup to a simmer for at least an hour and a half to two hours stirring occasionally and testing for softness of the peas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment